Discover the weird and wonderful world of languages!
The UK has a museum for dog collars and lawn mowers, but not for languages. This autumn we are launching our innovative Pop-Up World of Languages to fill this gap.
Join us on a journey through our three zones to uncover the hidden treasures of languages through our family-friendly, hands-on activities and games:
Languages and me
Why should we bother to learn languages? You may be surprised to find out:
- how learning a language can boost your brain power
- how many languages you already know without even realising
- where languages can take you in life
Languages around me
All you have to do is stop, look and listen! Here, you will explore:
- different accents, and your reactions to them
- translating the untranslatable… can it be done?
- the many languages around us in our cities, towns and villages
Languages in the world
There are thousands of different languages in the world! Here, you will discover:
- which languages are most spoken and which are in danger
- whether some languages are trickier than others
- the different sounds and writing systems languages use
Locations and Dates
Cambridge: ‘Escape At The Grafton’, The Grafton Centre, Cambridge, CB1 1PS
19th October – 27th October 2019
There will be a preview day for a limited number of school visits on Friday 18th October. For information about availability and booking, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Belfast: Accidental Theatre, 12-13 Shaftesbury Square, Belfast, BT2 7DB
2nd November – 3rd November 2019
School visits: 4th November - 5th November 2019
Edinburgh: Summerhall, 1 Summerhall, Edinburgh, EH9 1PL
8th November – 10th November 2019
Nottingham: The Gallery & Cecil Roberts Room (first floor), Nottingham Central Library, Angel Row, Nottingham, NG1 6HP
2nd December – 7th December 2019
London: The Barbican Centre, Silk Street, London, EC2Y 8DS
14th March 2020
Information for Schools
If you are interested in a School visit to our museum, funding can be provided for transport and other expenses if your School has a high level of free school meal eligibility or is situated in an area with a high index of multiple deprivation. Please contact email@example.com for more information.